From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Timothy Beecroft
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">'Rosemary Hayes-Milligan and Andrew Milligan'
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 9:11 PM
Subject: RE: St Albans

Never mind the wall paintings (although they are rather marvellous but not “faded”  they were painted over after the dissolution and only uncovered – which took off the top layer of paint – in the late 19 century) this is what we do:

http://www.shipoffools.com/Mystery/2007/1453.html [a report of a service with Desmond Tutu presiding]

What amuses me about our wall paintings is that, even though, as far as anyone can tell, the figures of Saints in particular were changed as and when someone who wanted a particular Saint depicted came along and got someone to paint over one attribute with another one, there are still people around today who will get very worked up about who or what a particular painting depicts.

The phrase “you pays your money (we were, after all , a Benedictine establishment) and you takes your choice” springs to mind.