John, You wrote:

> A view of a thirteenth-century scene of N.'s
> martyrdom by decapitation now
> in the Louvre and said to have come  from a chapel
> window of the cathedral
> of Soissons:
> http://tinyurl.com/3xk52j
> Here's a view of N.'s early fourteenth-century
> statue in the église collégiale
> Notre-Dame at Ecouis (Eure), showing him as a
> partial cephalophore:

http://www.collegiale-ecouis.asso.fr/photos/nicaise.JPG

Is it possible these are scenes of the "real" Nicaise,
first bishop of Reims and founder, so to speak, of the
cathedral on whose foundations the present church was
built? He was decapitated on the steps of said church
(if I remember correctly). There is a partial
cephalore at Reims but I couldn't find an on-line
image. Nicaise of Reims' feast is in December, the
14th I think.
MG
p.s. Wiki shows two Nicaises, yours and the real deal.

http://tv.yahoo.com/

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]