From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Ridyard
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] ferrea zona

I think Tom is right -- in the Cantilupe canonization material I'm working on there are numerous reports of the saint wearing hair shirts AND iron belts/girdles as a form of self-denial (though not EXPLICITLY liked to penance). This woman seems to have worn one round her breasts, as a particularly female variation on the theme. I don't know of other instances of this -- but then I haven't looked for them!

Sue

I suspect this is more a penitential practice, like a hair shirt.

Tom Izbicki

V. Kerry Inman wrote:

Except for the "mammillas" one might have thought a chastity belt. Is there
anyway this might have been implied?

--V. K. Inman

Quoting denis hue <[log in to unmask]>:

Id'guess an iron belt, or an iron corset

E Corbari a écrit :

Dear list members

I am studying the vita of a Dominican lay woman as part of my
dissertation. I would be grateful for your suggestions on what a "ferrea
zona" may be, and what translation you would reccomend.  Here is the full
Latin sentence:

"Ferrea pridem zona ad mammillas super nuda se precinxit".

thank you for your help.

E. Corbari

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

***********************
Ya que'qu'chos'qui cloch'la-d'dans,
J'y retourne immédiat'ment.
***********************
Denis Hüe,
professeur de langue et littérature françaises du Moyen Âge
responsable du Master Lettres Langues Communication
Centre d'Etude des Textes Médiévaux, (CETM-CELAM)
Université de Haute Bretagne
http://www.uhb.fr/alc/medieval

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

Susan Ridyard
Chair, Department of History
Director, Sewanee Medieval Colloquium
The University of the South
735 University Ave
Sewanee, TN 37383

tel. (931) 598 1531

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html