From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Ridyard
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] ferrea zona

	I think Tom is right -- in the Cantilupe canonization material I'm working on there are numerous reports of the saint wearing hair shirts AND iron belts/girdles as a form of self-denial (though not EXPLICITLY liked to penance). This woman seems to have worn one round her breasts, as a particularly female variation on the theme. I don't know of other instances of this -- but then I haven't looked for them!

Sue

	I suspect this is more a penitential practice, like a hair shirt.

	Tom Izbicki

	V. Kerry Inman wrote:

	Except for the "mammillas" one might have thought a chastity belt. Is there
	anyway this might have been implied?

	--V. K. Inman

	Quoting denis hue <[log in to unmask]>:

		Id'guess an iron belt, or an iron corset

		E Corbari a écrit :

		Dear list members

		I am studying the vita of a Dominican lay woman as part of my
		dissertation. I would be grateful for your suggestions on what a "ferrea
		zona" may be, and what translation you would reccomend.  Here is the full
		Latin sentence:

		"Ferrea pridem zona ad mammillas super nuda se precinxit".

		thank you for your help.

		E. Corbari

		to: [log in to unmask]
		to: [log in to unmask]

			***********************
			Ya que'qu'chos'qui cloch'la-d'dans,
			J'y retourne immédiat'ment.
			***********************
			Denis Hüe,
			professeur de langue et littérature françaises du Moyen Âge
			responsable du Master Lettres Langues Communication
			Centre d'Etude des Textes Médiévaux, (CETM-CELAM)
			Université de Haute Bretagne
			http://www.uhb.fr/alc/medieval

			to: [log in to unmask]
			to: [log in to unmask]