The zona (belt, girdle) was given symbolic significance related to chastity
in monasticism from the earliest times; (cf. Cassian, Inst.mon. 1.1.1-2;
SChr 109:36). It was usually leather but sometimes metal was used as a
penitential practice, as Tom Izbicki has already suggested. The article
"Ceintures et chaines de pénitence" in Dictionnaire de spiritualité 2:375-77
will probably be useful.

A related theme is the symbolic-penitential use of the mail or metal lorica
or breastplate, on which there is the article "Cuirasse" in DSp 2:2630-32.

I wonder if "ad mamillas" in this text should be understood as "at/around
the breasts" (i.e., a kind of breastplate or lorica), or "coming up to the
breasts" (i.e., a very high belt)? In the absence of other evidence, I
suspect the second is closer to the meaning of zona, and would link the
practice symbolically with chastity or virginity. If it were the second, one
might perhaps expect some allusion to Ephesians 6:14 (lorica iustitiae) and
1 Thessalonians 5:8 (lorica fidei et caritatis), a different symbolic
cluster. -- Paul Chandler

On 31/10/2007, Tom Izbicki <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I suspect this is more a penitential practice, like a hair shirt.
>
> Tom Izbicki

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]