Since most of you work at universities (I think) I had forgotten about scholarly journals that didn't pay for what you slave over.  When I asked one of my PhD friends why he bothered writing for them if they didn't pay and stick to writing for the ones who paid he told me about the "prestige" etc. with the scholarly journals.

The stuff I write (when I do articles vs. books) is, of course, much shorter - average 800 to 1500 words. I do try and do careful research and have my facts correct, and sometimes writing shorter stuff is harder, too.  But the $100 to $400 per article makes a nice piece of change to spend on my grandkids or good scotch.  If people have to pay to receive the journals, looks like the editors and writers should get paid.

And yes, John, I know cantankerous authors are the bane of editor's existence, but I generally get along well with my editors, probably because I have the reputation of getting my stuff in on time.  Yikes!  I'm beginning to sound like one of the characters in those medieval mysteries I like -- as if I am advocating academic revolt.

Best,
Ann