Yes -- without turning this into an off-topic series of observations,
it is important to accept the fact that some publishers with less
exalted reputations publish some gems, and that some much-worshipped
publishers allow their glory to mask the fact that some of their
products are clearly unworthy. Despite the codicologist in me (or
because of it?), it's always a good thing to judge a work by its
contents, not by its cover or its particular imprimatur.

George

--
George FERZOCO

On 17 Oct 2007, at 17:19, Megan McLaughlin wrote:

> I hold no brief for the Edwin Mellen press--but list members should
> be aware that they do occasionally publish quite good books--Anne
> Barstow's book on Married Priests and the Reforming Papacy, for
> example.  So don't just write everything off.  Best, Megan
>

>> At the risk of doing just that, I could add that I have always
>> been perplexed by the business model of the Edwin Mellen Press.
>> They go out of their way to say that the are *not* a Vanity Press,
>> which only reinforces the point that everyone thinks that they
>> are!  I suppose they survive by producing cheaply, and selling
>> expensively to academic libraries. There is a suspicion that they
>> publish books that no-one else will.
>>
>> John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]