Paul Chandler wrote:

> 4) I'm sorry if I inadvertently recommended a "defective pirated"
> edition of the Stuttgart Vulgate. I was not aware of that, and would
> be interested to know more. Investigating just now I see that
> VulSearch takes the Stuttgart text from the main UK Sourceforge mirror
> at the University of Kent, which does not immediately put one in mind
> of piracy. What should we know? -- Paul Chandler

A Bob Kraft post to this list in 1998 explains the question of piracy:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind9806&L=MEDIEVAL-RELIGION&P=R5705&I=-3

In short, the German Bible Society (GBS) and the United Bible Societies
(UBS) hold the rights to the text. U Penn's CCAT obtained a limited
license to distribute it for non
-commercial use. The text found its way into commercial products, and,
as of 1998 at least, GBS withdrew permission to distribute the text
without a CCAT user agreement.

OK, it's not like using The Pirate Bay to locate a torrent for
downloading the latest "Pirate of the Caribbean" movie.

Phil Feller

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]