> From: [log in to unmask] wrote:

It is of course complicated why we do things but that's part of the fun of archaeology, realising that despite thousands of years, miles and different ways of life apart we perhaps slightly share a compulsion to act in ways which make sense to us even if there doesn't appear to be rationality.>>

This sort of reminds me of my mother's burial.

She was to be buried with my father in the Royal Naval Cemetery in Gosport. The journey to Gosport from home took much less than we thought and got to Gosport very early. As it was a pretty chilly early morning we decided to get a cup of tea from somewhere and to stay in the warmth until the burial ceremony. However the only place open at the time was MacDonalds. We did not feel it right to leave my mother's ashes alone in the car as we went for our cuppa.
So my mother's last 'social occasion' was at MacDonalds in Gosport. Not exactly the heights of grandeur. :-)
I am not sure how she would have felt about that. Though she had a wry sense of humour like myself and would no doubt have seen the funny side. ;-)