" I was left with the
impression either that the journalist involved was completely ignorant,
or that they'd been badly briefed!"

Or possibly both!

This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient only. If
you have received it in error you have no authority to use, disclose, store
or copy any of its contents and you should destroy it and inform the sender.
Nothing in the email amounts to a legal commitment on our part unless
confirmed by a signed communication. Whilst this email and associated
attachments will have been checked for known viruses whilst within the
Natural England systems, we can accept no responsibility once it has left
our systems. Communications on Natural England systems may be monitored
and/or recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for
other lawful purposes.