Just in case you may be interested but I survived my ordeal of this morning though the fun really 'begins' on the 26th November. :-(

However at lunchtime, having got back home in one piece, but feeling dreadfully depressed I watched the lunchtime BBC news.

Courts and public inquiries...how bl**dy depressing!!

Then the local news came on, and more inquiries...$%@*#!!

The they did a bit on 'The Great Storm of '87' and finished the programme asking the public if they had any intersting stories regarding that terrible night. Hmm..interesting...I thought.

Ten years ago I sent the BBC a letter outlining my experiences of that notable night. They sent me a letter back saying that they had already made a programme on the subject but if that they were going to do another for the 20th anniversary they would be most interested!!

As John Schofield of EH knows I have one hell of a story!!!

Perhaps the most bizzarest thing that has ever happened to me especially when considering recent events!

Where not to be in a hurricane?

A tent in Salisbury.

Luckily I was asked to move my tent, by the YH warden that very evening so as not to kill off the grass on the lawn of Salisbury Youth Hostel. If I hadn't.........well it would not have been the grass that so much got got killed or horribly crushed to death.!!! Well it would have been instant and in ones sleep so it wouldn't have been that bad, I suppose.

I was woken up at 2am, then somehow got back to sleep and again woken about 2:15. Unknown to me I had indirectly experienced two events which only became apparent in the morning.

The length of my tent from the front guy rope peg to the rear guy rope peg was about 10 feet. Coincidentally that was the distance between the two 4 foot wide tree trunks that lay at either end of my tent. The trees had fallen over the lawn of the YH and destroyed the glass verandah missing the guy pegs by a couple of centimetres.

One of the trees trunks had a strange yellowy green oblong squarely underneath it....Hmm I wonder what what that could have been...??

Anyone else got any similarly bizzare Great Storm stories?