Morning,

The University is reviewing its policy on recovering overpayments.

Our payroll system will recover the gross sums if a retrospective pay
instruction is processed.

However we have to reverse the gross overpayment and put through a
balancing figure to set the current months pay back to what it would have
been, then we write to the employees to get permission to either recover
the sum as a net pay or as a cheque.

Once we have their permission we then correct the gross and net pay.

How many of your employers do a similar thing, or how many of you just let
the overpayment go through?

Also if you allow the overpayment to go through and it produces a negative
net, do you carry negative nets forward?

Regards,

Denise Hatton
Payroll Manager
University of the Arts London