Dear SPM list

We have a question concerning the interpretation of PPI results in a between- groups comparison.

We evaluated 2 groups of subjects  (patients and controls) performing a fMRI study.  The study included two cognitive tasks, A and B, and a control task, C. We were interested in studying the differences in PPI between task A and task B.

We made individual PPI analysis to explore which regions showed a different interaction with the amygdala consecutive to the change in cognitive factor (to simplify “task A: cognitive factor present” to “task B: cognitive factor absent”)

Then we made second-level analysis to evaluate both individual patterns of PPI in each group and between-groups differences in PPI.

Concerning the individual patterns of PPI, we assumed that the PPI analysis would show, for each group, regions which would have an interaction with the amygdala modulated by the "cognitive factor A".

Our problem is how to interpret the between-groups results.

Here is a specific example:

We find that region "R" is not present in the pattern of the patient group, but is present in the comparison Patients>Controls.

 Does this mean that "In the patient group, there is no change in the interaction between region R and amygdala when factor A occurs (= "there is no difference in the interaction of R and amygdala between tasks A and B"…?). However the interaction between amygdala and R when factor A occurs is greater in patients than in control subjects" ?

In other words, patients, even though having no change in interaction between region R and the amygdala when switching tasks, still have, compared to control, a superior “amount” of interaction in these two regions in task A.

We would be very grateful if someone could tell us if this interpretation is accurate and if not, explain mean the meaning of the between-group results.

Thank you in advance

Pilar