Thanks, Torben.  I appreciate the input.  Exactly what I needed to know.

Warm regards,
Jeff

  _____

From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Torben Ellegaard Lund
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 10:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] Smoothing for native space data & ROIs ?

Hi Jeff

If you plan to use subject specific ROI's in native space I would suggest to
not smooth at all. This would give you less partial volume effect, and you
are already obtaining the SNR gain by averaging within your ROI. If you are
using standard space ROI's you should smooth in order to compensate for
imperfect spatial normalisation e.g. 8mm or even more.

Best
Torben

Torben Ellegaard Lund
Assistant Professor, PhD
The Danish National Research Foundation's Center for Functionally
Integrative Neuroscience (CFIN)
Aarhus University
Aarhus University Hospital
Building 30