Esteemed list,
I am currently trying to figure out the subject of a small panel of 15th-century stained glass,
which depicts a nimbed bishop in the centre, before a cluster of heads, presumably of naked
individuals, behind him and facing a cluster of demons in front of him.  He has his crozier in
the crook of his arm and is making a distinctive gesture, towards the demons, with his gloved
hands.  He is laying his right hand onto the wrist of his raised left hand.  This gesture
suggests a well-established liturgical practice, but I am at a loss as to what it might be.  I
thought at first of exorcism, but the context of the image suggests protection from demons
rather than the exorcising of them.  The naked figures behind him, in fact, may be souls, and
if this is the case, the image might have eschatological significance.  Can anyone suggest
either: 1) what the bishop's gesture might mean; or 2) what sources I might consult about it.
Many thanks in advance,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]