I thought readers on this list might be interested to see the debate
around relational aesthetics and Claire Bishop's book continuing in this
review on metamute.

Josie

M | U | T | E | __ rrrrrread it!

______________________________________________11 July 07 _

OUT NOW ON METAMUTE.ORG:

Exodus

By Paul Helliwell

In her recent anthology Participation, Claire Bishop targets the suspect
utopianism of relational aesthetics – a new model public art for the age
of consensus. But, writes Paul Helliwell, her alternative reading of
participation, made across a set of historical texts, and concerned to
preserve the autonomy of art may have blocked itself with her deployment
of the fashionable Jacques Rancière

*

http://www.metamute.org/en/exodus

*

Mute Vol 2 #6 Call for Artwork Contributions

By Mute Editorial

Mute Vol.2 #6 is due to come out in August 2007 and will feature a group
of articles investigating the implications of a global economy sustained
by unprecedented levels of debt, and the crisis of value production that
underlies it. This has produced a (constantly deferred, but ever
deepening) crisis whose hallmarks are the widespread looting of
resources and non-reproduction of infrastructures and workers, the
inflation of asset bubbles, high levels of liquidity and personal debt.

We are making this call for artwork and visual contributions to the
theme. Artworks submitted will be hosted on the metamute.org site and
those selected for inclusion in the printed magazine will win a year's
free subscription to Mute.

The issue will feature submissions from Loren Goldner on dollar
imperialism; Barque Press on the poetry of money; the Committee for
Radical Diplomacy on student debt; Brett Neilson on the contemporary
ontology of debt; Jeff Strahl on waiting for the end of the world and
more... Please check http://www.metamute.org/content/articles and
http://www.metamute.org/content/news-and-analysis for freshly uploaded
content on this theme.

Please submit your artwork in .zip .pdf .jpeg .png .mp3 .ogg or .mp4 to
[log in to unmask] (with the subject header 'artwork' or register at
metamute.org and upload image files to the following gallery: Debt and
Crisis Issue http://www.metamute.org/en/image/tid/2286

Mute produces an issue every three months that collects a group of
articles around a theme, as well as including unthemed recently
published articles from the Mute website. From now on, we will be
announcing each upcoming theme with a call for contributions.

OR SUBSCRIBE HERE:
http://www.metamute.org/taxonomy/term/3480

FOR A LIST OF STOCKISTS:
http://www.metamute.org/node/254