This is an effect of the salt. All organic remains from that mine are perfectly preserved. I once examined a rucksack that was found there made of leather. You could use it without being careful. I wouldn´t hesitate to build a house from the timber there. There is no need to protect the wood from water - the salt has prevented any decay so you can extract the salt and the item will still not change more than any modern piece of wood!
The wood is pinus. The german word "kiefer" comes from "kien" meaning lighting-splinter and latin "ferre". It has a high amount of natural resin. You don´t have to add extra-fuel. It was used for light until at least early modern times.
I am not quite sure whether every pinus-wood works equally well - a case for experimental work ...
Niels

--
Niels Bleicher
Textorstr. 97