I think perhaps we are taking a wrong tack in going for physical
attributes of streets or networks as defining characteristics.

Ruth suggests purpose should help the definition, but even that seems
flawed: whose purpose?

Although I wouldn't disagree too strongly with her analysis of what a
street achieves: to reach and/or be a destination or series of
destinations.

The "and/or" needs a little clarification: it seems to me that a street
must lead from A to B, and as well has having intervening destinations
along its length (constituted in Ruth's terms).  This distinguishes it
from a road or a path (which may simply go from A to B).

When a street becomes a square must surely be a question of how it is
used, rather than any physical attribute of it.  Ruth suggests a
street's geometry is linear, I would suggest, a street's usage is mainly
along a single axis.  This isn't a criticism of space syntax: it is my
belief that syntax is about propensity for use, rather than as a
predictor of use, although, if we looked, we might well find that
squares that are called squares have different relationships to the rest
of the network than those that are not (or maybe not).

To finish: to judge citiness by a physical attribute (e.g. density) is
surely just as flawed as to judge streetness by physical attribute.  It
is interactions and engagements that make a city.  Not that density is
not a useful indicator of citiness (just as physical attributes of an
animal might suggest their genus).

--
Alasdair Turner
Course Director MSc Adaptive Architecture and Computation

http://www.vr.ucl.ac.uk/people/alasdair