On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 12:45:11 +0300, Yodan Rofe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Oh really?

Well, I didn't say you would recover cities "as we know them". I said that
a city could be defined by population density and you would need to decide
on a threshold.

Localized population peaks (like the villages you mention) are obviously
not a city.  Of course, you wouldn't recover the boundaries of those
italian cities you mention, but that seems only natural to me.

Just because you can't define a street, dosen't mean you can't define
anything else ;)

All the best,
Rui

> [...]
>include in their jurisdiction area all the agricultural land surrounding
>them, so their density (if calculated across the whole territory is rather
>low).
>
>And what would that threshold be? Is it Phoenix with less than 4 units to
>the acre? How many places there are with a higher density that we would
>never imagine calling cities?
>
>I find it strange that people who are dealing with complex phenomena are
>trying to reduce aspects of it to clear cut definitions. I think Stephen's
>approach is correct. A street is a complex entity that emerges from its
>position within the urban context, its boundary conditions, its patterns
of
>use and the way it is conceived by the people using it - it's rather
useless
>to try to reduce it to a one line definition.
>
>An axial line is a much more precise concept, but then it describes only
one
>aspect of streets.
>
>Yodan
>

>On 6/3/07, Rui Carvalho <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Stephen,
>>
>> It seems to me that a city can be defined by population density? It is
no
>> longer a city below a certain population density threshold?
>>
>> Surely we'd have to agree on the threshold value (which is an arbitrary
>> parameter), but at least there is only one arbitrary parameter to agree
>> on, so it doesn't seem too problematic to me?
>>

>now a street...
>>
>> Rui
>>

>> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 19:20:39 +0100, Stephen Marshall
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I still think it all depends on the purpose of
>> >what you are analysing, and the conclusions you
>> >intend to draw from the analysis.
>> >
>> >You could define and analyse
>> >- the public street network (as defined legally)
>> >- this may include 'fat' named spaces such as
>> >squares - for example in UK traffic regulation
>> >orders would typically include a combination of
>> >the named street/square and the physical extent
>> >(e.g. running from a to b) where the entity so defined need not be
>> linear;
>> >- all private networks that are publicly
>> >accessible (with all the ramps and yards and royal parks)
>> >- all the private sections that are not publicly accessible;
>> >and
>> >- all named streets / addresses (including courtyards, housing estates,
>> etc.)
>> >- all axial lines
>> >- all numbered roads, etc.
>> >...and measure properties of each of these
>> >netowrks individually and in combination and get
>> >different numbers, that will tell you different things.
>> >
>> >The problem of comparability of networks across
>> >cultures would seem no more or less difficult
>> >than the problem of comparing anything, for
>> >example, cities. (If comparing London Paris
>> >Brasilia, etc., how do you decide what to count as consituting the

Torrington