One of the key differences between systems which display lognormality
- which is the log of a normal distribution - and where the fat tail
can be approaxiimated by a power law, is between systems that are
organically changing and those which are manufactured. This is not
the same as systems that are physical versus systems that are animal.
Biological systems show very good lognormality where you get
competitive growth like city populations, growing trees, crystal
growth and so on. Manufactured systems like buildings and integrated
circuits and streets (insofar as we can think of a street as
somehting which is manufactured!) show somewhat cruder lognormality
and hencecruder power laws. Another way of saying this is that
manufactured systems are likely to be over a much lower orders of
magnigtude in terms of scaling than biological systems.

This means that we should not expect brilliant power law
approaximations when we measure the geometries of cities in contrast
to measuring the growth of them in terms of population, in my view.
The systems in our 1994 book Fractals Cities  and in my Cities and
Complexity (2005) book are all about populations, not about geometries

Mike Batty

At 14:30 01/06/2007, Joao Pinelo wrote:
>Was it chance that power laws were first identified in a 'non spatial' (non
>geographical) environment? In virtual space where the physical constraints do
>not rule topology?
>Power laws were identified in a series of networks. Including social
>ones. But,
>how much are these networks influenced by the physical space, its
>infrastructure? Is it everything? Should we expect perfect power laws to be
>embedded in environments where physical space is an obvious restrictor?
>
>The point is: Are physical networks organized by the same principles
>as networks
>which, although supported by a physical set of components, are not the same as
>the infrastructure?
>
>Joao Pinelo

Michael Batty | CASA | University College London | 1-19 Torrington
Place London WC1E 6BT UK | Tel 44 207 679 1782 | Mobile 44 7768 423 656 |
email: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] | web:
<http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/>www.casa.ucl.ac.uk