Hi there,

As someone who refused so far to use up time of real life in order to invest
it into second life, I do wonder why artists would kind of 'upgrade' that
virtual playground (sl) by placing ( uncritical) arts pieces there. Somewhat
reminiscent of the groundwork artists do before regeneration sharks take
over urban spaces (but in this case I would say it's the unintended
side-effect of artistic activity in such neighborhoods.)
In eno's case, taking a piece from a gallery to a virtual space, I think it
removes the work even more so from all those potential viewers, who haven't
been part of the information revolution yet and are effortlessly overlooked
while living in the gap the digital divide keeps creating...

Just a thought to provoke two questions:
If we invest time&energy into sl, does it really boomerang back in a
relevant way to stimulate real life? Is it important to show ones art to the
'biggest' number of audiences or is it meaningful to address certain groups
by making an effort...?
manu

> this seems interesting and related to that emerging discussion

(posted today
> at WDL mailing list by Jeremy Hunsinger )

GB

Brian Eno's 77 Million
> Paintings is a generative visual artwork,
composed of many overlaid images
> forming a "slow-changing light
painting." You can see a lesser demo version on
> the official site. On
June 29th, 77 Mil will open in Second Life and real
> life
simultaneously, to be seen via streaming video and in-world through
recreated version of the work by Angrybeth Shortbread.

Eno was moved by a
> desire to get his visual installation work out of
the gallery, where few can
> see it, to a larger audience. (As someone
who's studied his work, I would
> suspect that his thought process went
something like: Hmm¡Kpeople have great
> big gorgeous HD monitors and
TVs now¡Kmaybe I should dust off the old
> screensaver idea¡K) Head to
blueair.tv and longnow.org for SL coordinates and
> more info. Here's
teh press release:

The Long Now Foundation, a San Francisco
> non profit dedicated to
fostering long-term responsibility, is pleased to
> announce the Second
Life premiere of Brian Eno's 77 Million Paintings, in
> partnership
with metaverse services company blueair.tv.

The work will be both
> streamed via video at select locations inside
Second Life, while a rendition
> of 77 Million Paintings has been
created by blueair.tv creative partner
> Annabeth Robinson, known
virtually as AngryBeth Shortbread.

Two evenings,
> June 29th and 30th, are open to the general public at
multiple venues across
> Second Life, with the largest public area
provided by Joi Ito (Kula Sims). The
> final night, July 1st, is a
private event that will be held in appreciation
> for Long Now members
worldwide ( members.longnow.org) and hosted on the Leeds
> College of
Art and Design's Digital Media Sim. Members of The Long
> Now
Foundation staff and board will also be visiting the Second Life
> sims
throughout the weekend and during the member event on Sunday
> evening.

The North American premiere will be hosted by The Long Now
> Foundation
at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. Mr.
> Eno
hopes to be in San Francisco for the event.

Questions regarding the
> Second Life opening, sponsorship of the
event, Second Life-based artwork and
> blueair.tv itself should be
directed to Bryan Campen at 312.799.1329 or via
blueair.tvATgmail.com <http://blueair.tvatgmail.com/>. Any questions
> or
requests for interviews
regarding the artist, installation and membership
> to The Long Now
Foundation should be directed to Danielle Engelman at
> 415.561.6582 or
via email at danielleATlongnow.org.

2007/6/14, dom/

--
Sometimes it's better to be
> sincerely false instead of being falsely true.
[Eva e Franco Mattes a.k.a.
> 0100101110101101.ORG]

me: www.desvirtual.com
myself: www.noema.art.br