Hello All,

We have had several enquiries about critical appraisal training but we don't feel quite able to carry it out yet.  I know that plenty of libraries do this so I hoped you could answer a few questions about CA training.

1. Who do you train (doctors, nurses, AHPs, etc)?

2. Who does the training, a librarian, a researcher, doctor, university staff, or a 'double act'?

3. What level of teaching do you carry out?  Is it enough to go through checklists, e.g. CASP, or do participants want more detail?

4. How much statistics do you get involved in for the majority of participants? (We have had requests from doctors who needed very specific CA/statistics for Royal College membership exams, but that would always be handled by staff outwith the library.)

5. How important is clinical knowledge, e.g. to be able to assess whether the clinical question in an article is valid/sensible?

6. Do you do a one-off session or a series?  How long do your sessions last?

7. What training did you do before taking on CA training?

If anyone was willing to provide a course outline or objectives for your CA training I would be very grateful.

That was a lot of questions that may take a bit of answering so very many thanks for your help, as usual.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Manson
Liaison/Clinical Librarian
NHS Grampian
Room 1:091
Medical Library
Polwarth Building
Foresterhill
Aberdeen
AB25 2ZD

Internal: ext 59433
External: 01224 559433

This message  may  contain  confidential  and  privileged information.
If you are not  the intended  recipient please  accept our  apologies.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute  information in this e-mail
or take any  action in reliance on its  contents: to do so is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has
gone  astray  before  deleting it.  Thank  you for  your co-operation.

NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a million
messages  are sent every day by the system.  To find  out why more and
more NHS personnel are  switching to  this NHS  Connecting  for Health
system please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail