BlankDear Friends of Wisdom,

                                   Would anyone like to write a review of my book "Is Science Neurotic?" (Imperial College Press, 2004)?  It would be for Metapsychology Online Reviews.  In my book I spell out the case for wisdom-inquiry, but begin by arguing that neurosis needs to be interpreted as a methodological notion.  "Rationalistic neurosis" is a condition that arises when any aim-pursuing entity misrepresents its aims.  It is in this sense that science is "neurotic".  It is often argued that psychoanalytic theory does not match up to the exacting standards of science.  My argument rather turns this on its head, in that it is science which does not match up to the exacting standards of psychoanalysis interpreted methodologically.

                                   Details about Metapsychology Online Reviews, guidelines for reviews, and the editor, Christian Perring, are below.  A copy of my book sits in Christian Perring's office, awaiting a reviewer.

                      Best wishes,

                                   Nick Maxwell
www.nick-maxwell.demon.co.uk

Copy of Email from Christian Perring:-

I am looking for prompt and careful reviewers for
Metapsychology Online Reviews
(http://www.mentalhelp.net/books ) (ISSN 1931-5716).
Either a Ph.D. or ABD in Philosophy, Psychology, or other
behavioral sciences is preferable. Ideally, reviews should
draw connections between the subject of the book and issues
in mental health, psychopathology, normality or emotions.

Guidelines at
http://alien.dowling.edu/~cperring/revguide.htm

Deadline for reviews: October 1, 2007

If interested, please e-mail me at
[log in to unmask] with

* your name
* e-mail address
* mailing address (even if you have given it previously)
* list of books you are interested in (the more you list,
the more likely you can get a book to review)
* an explanation of your competence to review the books
(especially for books that many people are likely to want
to review)
* details of your ability to write for a diverse readership.

Once assigned, books will be sent out in the next couple of
weeks.

Thanks,
Christian Perring

Christian Perring, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, Dowling College
Home page: http://alien.dowling.edu/~cperring/
Editor of Metapsychology Online Reviews: http://www.mentalhelp.net/books
Office Phone: (631) 244-3349
Dept Philosophy, Dowling College, 150 Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY 11769, USA