There are things we do need to fight for, even ditches to die in, but the tactic shouldn't be to reject the whole debate.

I think Paul is right about the above - especially as the debate will continue with or without us so we need to contribute. Seems to me that archivists have their professional skills to fall back on whatever the weather. Digitisation seems to be trotted out as the end to storage problems, but usually upon closer examination it is understood to be just the beginning of them. Even without considering the huge cost of digital storage (and backups presumably) there are a whole raft of issues around format, loss of information, copyright, legal admissibility, lack of context and interpretation to name a few.

We need to stress the skills we bring in terms of appraisal, collections management, legal compliance and outreach that all add value in a way that simply 'having it all on computer' cannot. I have just returned from a visit to a school in which I took a document to show a group of 14-15 year olds. They had seen it on screen before but the 'wow factor' was just amazing. They were fascinated by the age of the item, the writing ("it's so neat it must be printed"), the feel of the paper and being able to hold it. It was pointed out to them that this was the original of something they had seen but  this did not make any difference: as one said "Yeah, but this is really real"

Perhaps this is what we need to be!

Jenny Moran

Northamptonshire Record Office - but posting in private capacity.