Dear Colleagues

I would like to draw your attention to the Committee's Report which can be
found at http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmcumeds.htm.
Although the Report is not specifically for public consultation as such it
does provide an opportunity for the archives sector to engage
Parliamentarians and decision-makers in dialogue about concerns for the
archival sector.  The NCA will be sending a response to the Secretary of
State in the very near future and is working to organize a Parliamentary
question. The NCA will make its response available shortly to the list.

If you would like to comment on the Report either as an individual or as a
representative of your organization you may consider sending comments either
to your local MP or to the DCMS.  If you contact your MP I would suggest
phrasing your comments under the structure of asking the MP to ask the
Secretary of State for Culture Media and Sport what the DCMS intends to do
about those issues of concern to you.  If you write to the Secretary of
State I would recommend phrasing your letter along the lines of 'When the
Secretary responds to the Select Committee's Report she may wish to consider
the following issues.'
I would not recommend writing directly to the Select Committee.  It has done
its work collecting evidence and reporting on its findings so it is not
seeking any further comments at this stage.

I will keep the list informed of this and other NCA developments as they
occur.

With regards

Elizabeth Oxborrow-Cowan
Director of Publicity and Communication