Hi Emma,

I personally see this as engagement in product development, and I think it quite OK to gauge service providers’ (i.e. public libraries) opinion on the way to develop services that they may be asked to use.

Our stock policy for eletronic stock is such that we favour web-based platforms as the preferred delivery mechanism (i.e. standard non-propriatory HTML).  We also favour those with licence and remote access.  For use in libraries, we prefer IP mapping, and prefer to treat the network as the location, not individual physical libraries.

I would therefore suggest that you do not go down the PDF line.  It is not standard html, and still has some potential accessibility issues, that do not affect good html. On that note, I would take advice on being at least AA compliant against Web accessibility standards (WCAG) for any new web service, as we as local authorities are supposed to deliver web pages to that standard.

I should add that as you might have guessed I am involved in technical assessment, but stock content suitability is not my thing.

Andrew Lewis

e-Services Officer

Library and Information Services

Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead