It greatly depends on the state of your instrument - how well you took
care of the optical elements, etc. It also depends on the initial
concentration of the sample (and therefore the peak volume at detection
time) and on the optical activity of the sample and the buffer. If the
stars align and everything works, you should be able to easily detect 5 ug
of protein in a *reasonable* peak volume. This would require a true
injection of perhaps 15 ul assuming a dilution down to about 50 ul in the
peak. Oviously if you have multiple smeary peaks than you won't get any
signal at all :)

Artem