From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Jan Hargreaves
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 2:16 PM
Subject: Archive Traineeships

Not directly in response to Judith's original question, but something I've been thinking about.  The Museum I work for last year took on a Museums Association Positive Action Trainee (http://www.museumsassociation.org/ma/9521).

In discussions with my Senior Manager about staffing in the archive section, about the same time, he asked whether there was anything similar in the archive profession - not necessarily limited to a positive action placement, but something we could tap into that would enable us to employ someone and support them as they carried out the archive diploma by distance learning.  The only way we, as an employer with a limited salary budget, could have done something without financial support, would have been to convert a permanent qualified post to a traineeship.  (The post in question had been vacant for a year by that point - two years on, it's still frozen - guess who wishes she'd said 'Yes' now...!)

As Judith's case shows, I had to say that we don't, as a profession, have anything equivalent to the Museums Association scheme.  I also had to say that, in terms of the amount of support provided to a trainee, a small archive team like ours doesn't have the staff to provide such support, particularly not if it's at the expense of one of the posts that would help provide the support.

Having worked in local authority record offices as well, I know that staffing in a larger organisation can also be tight and prevent such placements being made available.

While I know that the distance learning courses available through LUCAS and Aberystwyth are an improvement on the Society's own distance learning Diploma (one of my current members of staff is a recent graduate of the LUCAS distance learning course), I think that as a profession we need to give more consideration to the people we're missing who might not have followed the formal education route, or who might be too crippled by debt to spend another year studying for a masters, otherwise we're not being an inclusive profession.

I also know that, in comparison with the Museum profession, we're better at controlling our intake of potential archivists so that market demand more often than not meets market supply, and maybe we don't want to create archivists when there are no jobs for them to go on to.  But there must be a way of balancing the two - why don't we have a bursary scheme like the University of Leceister's Museums Studies scheme?

I think it's a shame that there are people out there who want to contribute to the profession but can't find a placement or job that will support them through distance learning and who can't afford to follow the full time route.

This year's conference is on 'Differing Directions: Challenging Communities', and (with all respect to the organisers) everything on the programme is about either buildings, collections or users - with the exception of Jenny Moran's session (I'm assuming that the title is a hint that she doesn't wear cardigans, have her hair in a bun, etc, etc, etc...)

Maybe we need to spend some time thinking about the people who make up our profession and how we diversify, challenge and revolutionise the way we train the archivists of the future.

Or maybe it's just me.  God knows I don't get out enough.

Jan

Jan Hargreaves
Senior Archivist
Tel : 0161 606 0115
Fax : 0161 606 0186

This message may contain confidential information. If you have received this message by mistake, please inform the sender by sending an e-mail reply. At the same time please delete the message and any attachments from your system without making, distributing or retaining any copies. Although all our e-mail messages and any attachments upon sending are automatically virus scanned we assume no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the receipt and/or use. This message has been sent on behalf of Greater Manchester Museum of Science & Industry Trust, Liverpool Road, Castlefield, Manchester, M3 4FP. Registered Company Number 2067804. Charity Registration Number 518412. VAT Registration Number 588 8279 60. MSIM Enterprises Ltd, Liverpool Road, Castlefield, Manchester, M3 4FP. Registered Company Number 2965671. VAT Registration Number 588 8279 60.