I actually had the same problem, it can be quite tricky to solve when the
scans differ between runs. I created a set of Linux shell scripts that uses
FSL's avwutils to count the number of scans in each file. Then it creates a
batch file from a template (a manually created batch file with all image
references deleted) and runs a loop that adds a new image line for each
image count. Then it starts Matlab and runs the batch.

A much simpler solution would have been if you could instruct SPM to map all
scans in a 4D file, but unfortunately such a functionality is not
implemented. Thinking of it, it should be quite easy to write a simple Java
program that handles this. Perhaps I will do that instead if I come across
this problem again.

I'd be happy to send you my scripts if you like to have a look at it.

/Johan