I find myself both moved and perplexed by some of the ‘movements’ in the
exchange over ambiguity. It seems to start by a notion of ambiguity of the
‘perceived object’ that oscillates between two clear ways of being
experienced (either a vase or a pair of faces) and currently seems to be a
point of ‘darke Mysterie’ with formless silence in which no particular way
(or even two particular\ ways being oscillated between) of experiencing the
universe (let alone an image on paper) is more predictable or more desirable
than any other:

Every little piece of knowing emerges to fall back again into the great
unknown.  I like Jamie Sands comment that ‘Great Mystery doesn’t need to be
solved’. Life is free fall, the infinite pack of cards thrown up into the
air.  There is no knowing where they will land (Halina Pytlasinska).

From my point of view, the attempt at better knowing (or less ignorance)
that is embodied in the scientific project and the project of science has
come round to being trashed in the name of what feels like an artistic
ecstasy (quite legitimate as such) performing as if it were a social science
being performed.

A mode of work, it seems to me, can only claim to be a (social or whatever)
science if it attempts to improve understanding and generate better knowing.
This may certainly involve the non-hasty pursuit of uncertainty
(Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle), sustained scepticism about ‘claims to
certain knowledge’ (W.R. Bion and John Keats), but it does not mutate into
the celebration of mystery as a good in itself. It certainly may attempt to
render the familiar strange (anthropologists working on their own society)
but it does so in conjunction with rendering the strange familiar or at
least capable of being made sense of. As a tactic, confounding commonsense
understandings by rendering the all-too-familiar as ‘mysterious’ is
perfectly legitimate and a powerful tool for advancing (eventual)
understanding; to make the goal of one’s activity the celebration of mystery
does not seem to be part of an activity hoping to pass as ‘science’: it may
be crucial to art and religion, but that’s another  (however possibly more
valuable) story.

Best wishes for the struggle against mystification and a tolerance of
mystery

Tom

24a PrincesAvenue

Muswell Hill

London N10 3 LR

UK

020-8883-9297

For a free copy of the current 'Short Guide to BNIM (biographical narrative
interpretive method) research interviewing', please send me details of your
institutional affiliation and for what research or teaching purpose you
might wish to use BNIM. I'll mail you a copy right back.

   _____