Hello,

Is anyone currently involved in or aware of the online delivery of historic newspapers?

The challenge with early, densely typeset, often poor-quality newspaper print seems to be in creating a good quality digital image (preferably with an OCR search facility) which is at the same time of a reasonably small file-size to deliver online.  When this is scaled-up to cover an entire newspaper(s) print-run then the challenge is made even greater!

I’d be keen to hear of any developments or current online resources in this area.  Having recently had an important 19th century Manx newspaper re-filmed we are now looking into providing a digital search route into this rich research material.

Many thanks,

Jude.

Jude Dicken (Miss)

Curator: Documentation Officer

Manx National Heritage

Kingswood Grove

Douglas, Isle of Man IM1 3LY

Tel:  +44(0)1624 648000

Fax: +44(0)1624 648001

Website:  www.gov.im/mnh

WARNING: This email message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. You must not copy or deliver it to any other person or use the contents in any unauthorised manner without the express permission of the sender. If you are not the intended addressee of this e-mail, please delete it and notify the sender as soon as possible.

No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of any of the Departments or Statutory Boards of the Isle of Man Government with any party by e-mail without express written confirmation by a Manager of the relevant Department or Statutory Board.

RAAUE: S’preevaadjagh yn çhaghteraght post-l shoh chammah’s coadanyn erbee currit marish as ta shoh coadit ec y leigh. Cha nhegin diu coipal ny cur eh da peiagh erbee elley ny ymmydey yn chooid t’ayn er aght erbee dyn kied leayr veih’n choyrtagh. Mannagh nee shiu yn enmyssagh kiarit jeh’n phost-l shoh, doll-shiu magh eh, my sailliu, as cur-shiu fys da’n choyrtagh cha leah as oddys shiu.

Cha nel kied currit da failleydagh ny jantagh erbee conaant y yannoo rish peiagh ny possan erbee lesh post-l ass-lieh Rheynn ny Boayrd Slattyssagh erbee jeh Reiltys Ellan Vannin dyn co-niartaghey scruit leayr veih Reireyder y Rheynn ny Boayrd Slattyssagh t’eh bentyn rish.