Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Subject Indexing!
28 June 2007 at the The University of Manchester, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
This course, organised by the Society of Archivists' DataStandards Group,provides a great opportunity to learn about, discuss and debate all matters relating to subject indexing.

How much importance should we place on indexing? How do we really make sure that our index terms are effective?Which indexing schemes should we choose?These and otherthought-provoding issues will be raised during this training day. The aim is to get delegates to think about the issues involved,the implications for how they approach indexing, and to take part in some hands-on activities.

The programme will include: an introductory overview of subject indexing, looking at some of the issues involved; subject indexing using Library of Congress Subject Headings, the UNESCO thesaurus and UKAT; LCSH real-world example of use and some conclusions; a panel session at the end of the day.The full programme will shortly be posted on the Society's website at http://www.archives.org.uk/thesociety/specialinterestgroups/datastandardsgroup/trainingandevents.html

Tutors will include Keith Trickey, a senior lecturer at Liverpool John Moores University with wide experience of teaching in information and library management and a particular interest in Library of Congress Subject Headings and Martin Locock, previously Project Manager of the Archives Network Wales and now Catalog Cymru Project Manager.

Fee: Society of Archivists members 75; non-members 90. To include lunch and refreshments

Please book for this course by using the Society of Archivists' booking form available from http://www.archives.org.uk/careerdevelopment/training.html

If you have any questions please email Jane Stevenson, [log in to unmask]