I went to a lecture last night at the U. of Washington on religion &
violence.  The speaker's conclusions, after 4 years of study, 2000+
interviews with US Protestants, & many many books on many other
religions across history, was:

well, yes and no.

Luis Gutierrez theorizes about religion but he talks about
Christianity.  He has yet to define religion.

DW

Luis Gutierrez wrote:

> Terrill Heaps wrote:
>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
>> culture
>>
>> Luis Gutierrez wrote:
>>

>>> However, the Thomas Aquinas teaching
>>> is still perpetuated in many churches
>>> that refuse to ordain women and give them
>>> roles of religious authority.
>>> This goes back to a literalist reading
>>> of St Paul and Genesis 3:16.
>>

>> The fact that the Church only ordains males has nothing to do with
>> Aquinas,
>> who wasn't even born, until 1225.  Neither has it anything to do with
>> the
>> mythos of creation in Genesis. It has to do with following that which
>> was
>> established by the individual whom Luiz described as the one "who was
>> fully
>> human without ceasing to be fully divine."
>
> What about St. Paul ... what about Genesis 3:16 ...
>
> Yes, he is fully divine and fully human.  Therefore, unless women are
> not human, he assumed the totality of human nature -- male and female.
> Being male or female is one of the limitations of the human condition.
> Now we know (since Jung) that there is man in woman and woman in man,
> but that's another discussion.
>
> And no, it has nothing to do with him, unless you insist in a
> *literalist* (as opposed to *literal*) reading of the bible.
>
>> Luiz states in his original posting, "my working hypothesis is that
>> the human
>> propensity to violence is rooted in pre-historical religious violence."
>>
>> If we take his presuposition that there is a "human propensity to
>> violence,"
>> one wonders how he manages to make the category leap from a
>> "characteristic"
>> of humanity to blaming that "characteristic" on religious
>> inculturation. Of
>> course, if religious inculturation is genetically transmittable to
>> the next
>> generation, then one might posit such a view. However, such a view as
>> genetic
>> transmission of religious inculturation is patently absurd. Religious
>> inculturation happens subsequent to one's birth. We are humans at
>> birth. To
>> state that humans have a propensity toward violence, and further to
>> state that
>> such propensity toward violence is an effect of religious inculturation
>> presents a problem. It requires the effect to antedate its own cause.
>> And
>> this, being absurd, cannot be.
>
> Are you familiar with the work of French philosopher-anthropologist
> Ren�  Girard?  He shows that there is an intrinsic link between
> violence and religion, and that this has been so since primitive
> religions practiced sacred violence (including human sacrifice) to
> appease the Gods when they were in trouble.  The crucifixion of Jesus
> [...]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]