Dear Luis,

	There is a thorough discussion of the canonical materials on the
subordination of women in Bernard Cooke and Gary Macy, A History of
Women and Ordination: Volume 2: Ida Raming, The Priestly Ministry of
Women: God's Gift for a Renewed Church (New York: Scarecrow Press,
2004). A full discussion of the medieval theologian's discussion of
the impossibility of the ordination of women in John Hilary Martin,
"The Ordination of Women in a Medieval Context," in Bernard Cooke and
Gary Macy, A History of Women and Ordination: Volume 1: The
Ordination of Women in a Medieval Context (New York: Scarecrow Press,
2002), pp. 31-160.   There is a great deal of very fine literature on
this issue recently. Rather than send a long bibliography to
everyone, I would be happy to provide more information to you
offline.  I will have a summary of the literature in an upcoming
book, The Hidden History of the Ordination of Women: Female Clergy in
the Medieval West (New York: Oxford University Press, September, 2007).

This may be a bit off the mark, but it might help to put Thomas in
context of a larger discussion.

On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:19 PM, ec8676 wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> Dear Luis
>
> You can read Aquinas's teaching on women's subordination and
> deficiencies in the "Summa Theologiae", 1 par, Question 92.  Online
> version at http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1092.htm
>
> You may also look at Prudence Allen, "The Concept of Woman" (Cambridge
> 1985), pp. 402-407.
>
> I have been working on medieval Dominican sermons and while there are
> other writings on women's inferiority, I have also come across a
> sermon which says "women are much better than men".
>
> best wishes
>
> Eliana
>

> Quoting Luis Gutierrez <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
>> culture
>>
>> Greetings ... new member ... need help:
>>
>> I am currently doing some research on the UN Millennium Development
>> Goals (MDGs), specifically MDG3 (promotion of gender equality).
>>
>> Is it true that, in medieval Christianity, women were considered to
>> be
>> inferior to men?  I have seen some citation from St. Thomas Aquinas,
>> but
>> now I cannot find it.
>>
>> Even though I am a religious person myself, my working hypothesis is
>> that the human propensity to violence is rooted in pre-historical
>> religious violence.  This propensity to violence persists today in
>> both
>> secular and religious institutions, and is manifested as various
>> kinds
>> of patriarchal domination which transcend geography, culture,
>> ethnicity,
>> etc.  Gender inequalities everywhere are the most pervasive form of
>> violence and is (I think) the greatest obstacle to human and social
>> development, nationally and internationally.
>>
>> I self-publish a free monthly newsletter that takes the MDGs as point
>> of
>> reference.  Please take a look when time permits -- the link to the
>> home
>> page is under my signature below.  In connection with MDG3, I am
>> seeking
>> good insights and data on the religious dimension of gender violence
>> as
>> a significant roadblock to human and sustainable development.
>>
>> I would be grateful for any suggestions or pointers.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Luis

>> Luis T. Gutierrez, Ph.D.
>> Research on Solidarity, Sustainability, and Non-Violence
>> Home page: http://www.pelicanweb.org/solisust.html
>> Current issue: http://www.pelicanweb.org/solisustv03n03.html
>> Email: [log in to unmask]

>> To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> To send a message to the list, address it to:
> [...]

Gary Macy
Professor
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
Associate Director
Center for the Study of Latino/a Catholicism
University of San Diego
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego CA  92110
619-260-4053