I am working on a project where I am going to be nominating some real saints for some fictional/strange/humorous patronages.  I would like the names of a few "odd" saints so I can look them up.

One of my favourites is the Breton Saint Herve'. (Mind you I probably like him becuase one of my grandparents was a Harvey from Cornwall and the link between Brittany & Cornwall is close.) So perhaps he is a (collateral) anscestor! This is my remembered version

Saint Herve' and an acolyte were returning home from a pilgrimage to Rome with a mule loaded with books. The acolyte became tired and as it was approaching midday, they paused for rest, un-harnessed the mule and the indefatigable saint set off on foot for the neighbouring village to buy - or beg - for some food. While he was away the acolyte fell asleep and while he was asleep, a wolf came up and made ITS dinner on the mule. When the saint got back, the acolyte was still asleep and the satisfied wolf was licking the bones. The acolyte woke, horrified at what had happened but Herve' (naturally) was equal to the occasion.

He addressed the wolf as follows: Brother Wolf, you were following your God-given nature when you ate my mule, so you have not sinned but you must pay for your dinner. I shall put the mule's harness on you, and you shall be my beast of burden and carry my books for me.

And so it was, the saint harnessed the wolf, loaded him and they completed their journey to the saint's home town. All the townsfolk came out amazed when they saw the wolf acting as a beast of burden and knew that Herve' was indeed a saint. And Herve' unloaded his books, unharnessed the wolf and let it go with his blessing.

(I believe this story is told of other Celtic saints, but Herve' is the one I know.)

Brenda.