Could I  extend this question to bishops?
I have an example of one incapacitated by ill health - the problem
was, how to appoint his successor while he was still alive.
Meg

Dear list,

could anyone help me in the following case: I am looking for voluntary
resignations of abbots from their monastic office (i.e. not due to
incapacity, illness, crimes etc.) preferably pre-11th century, i.e.
pre-Gregorian Reform. There is of course the case of Paschasius
Radbertus of Corbie around 850, and I am wondering whether we can come
up with similar events.

Karl-Georg Schon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]