Forwarded message:
> From [log in to unmask]  Wed Feb 28 08:43:34 2007
> Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:43:26 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
> Subject: March 22 PSCO announcement

PHILADELPHIA SEMINAR ON CHRISTIAN ORIGINS        in its 44th year
an Interdisciplinary Humanities Seminar under the auspices of the
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA        Department of Religious Studies
201 Logan Hall        with support from the Penn Humanities Forum

TOPIC FOR 2006-2007: Rethinking History, Theory, and Texts: New
Theoretical and Methodological Endeavors

Co-Chairs:
Debra Bucher (University of Pennsylvania)   dbucher AT pobox.upenn.edu
Sarah Schwarz (Haverford College   )           schwarz.sl AT gmail.com

Secretary:
Douglas Finkbeiner (University of Pennsylvania)

Webmaster:
Jay C. Treat (University of Pennsylvania) jtreat AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu

> The topic for the 44th year of PSCO is "Re-thinking History, Theory,
> and Texts: New Theoretical and Methodological Endeavors."  We take our theme
> from Elizabeth Clark's recent book, History, Theory Text: Historians and the
> Linguistic Turn, in which she attempts to persuade historians of ancient texts,
> especially those of early Christianity, "that the texts they study are highly
> amenable to the types of literary/philosophical/theoretical critique that have
> excited other humanities disciplines under the rubric of post-structuralism"
> (p.ix).  We are inviting scholars to share current work that utilizes new
> theoretical approaches in interpreting ancient Jewish and Christian texts.

The next PSCO session will be with Maxine Grossman (University of Maryland) on
Thursday, March 22, 2007.  The title of her presentation is

"Sectarian Poetics: Exploring Identity Formation in the Dead Sea Scrolls."

In preparation for the talk, Professor Grossman recommends the following
material:

1. Carol Newsom, "Apocalyptic Subjects: Social Construction of the Self in the
Qumran Hodayot," Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha 12 (2001): 3-35.
Or in a similar vein, read the Hodayot chapter in her book, _The Self
as Symbolic Space_ (Brill, 2004).

2. Maxine Grossman, "Cultivating Identity: Textual Virtuosity and ‘Insider’
Status," in _Proceedings: 2004 International Organization for Qumran
Studies_ (Groningen, NL; forthcoming). For a copy of this article, please
email Debra Bucher, dbucher AT pobox.upenn.edu.

As usual, we will gather at the University of Pennsylvania in Logan
Hall (2nd floor lounge) at 6 pm for an informal dinner in the nearby Food
Court, and then meet back in the Logan Hall Lounge at 7 pm for Professor
Grossman's presentation.

For further details on the PSCO and the current year's topic, see

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/psco/

Bob Kraft, coordinator

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]