p. 208 of Little's article has the 4 Dominican visitations: London, York, Cambridge, Oxford.

p. 209 has the 5 Augstinian "limites":  Oxford, Lincoln, Ludlow, Cambridge, York.

Unfortunately, I cannot copy & paste the PDF images of those page.

And it is a journal article, so the listing in most online catalogs will be under English Historical Review.

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Research Services Librarian
 and Gifts-in-Kind Officer
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> Chris Daniell <[log in to unmask]> 3/20/2007 9:19 AM >>>

Dear listmembers

I am in the process of drawing maps for a Medieval atlas and whilst I have
the regional groupings for the Franciscans and the main house of each
custody, I am having real difficulty in identifying the regional groupings
for the Carmelites, Austin Friars and Dominicans.

I have found out that the Carmelites in the English province (does this
include Scotland and Ireland as well?) were divided into
four 'distinctions' - London, York, Norwich and Oxford - but which
friaries are associated with which distinction is proving difficult to
find out.  Norwich seems to consist of Burnham Norton, Blakeley, King's
Lyn and Yarmouth.

Re the Dominicans - again I have the four main houses of each of the
visitations - York, Oxford, Cambridge, (actually I am missing the fourth)
but the regional groupings are proving problematic (York seems to be York,
Lincoln, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Lancaster, Scarborough, Yarm, Carlisle,
Beverley, Pontefract, Bamburgh and (?) Berwick).

Re Augustinian friars - I have almost no information

I am aware that there is the book

The Administrative Divisions of the Mendicant Orders in England by
A. G. Little which is reviewed in The English Historical Review, Vol. 34,
No. 134 (Apr., 1919), pp. 205-209

This seems to be exactly what I want, though apart from the EHR Review I
have found no other reference to it (ie I can't see it British Library
Catalogue, Oxford University Lib, Cambridge University Lib catalogue,
Bookfinder.com, Amazon etc etc).  Was it called something different?

If there is any help you can give, or publication I can look at I would be
most grateful

Many thanks

Chris Daniell

to: [log in to unmask]