The same story is told of St. Corbinian, bishop of Freising (7th c.), again with a bear, and no acolyte.  The bear (with his pack) is depicted on Benedict XVI's coat of arms.

James L. Arinello
Boston College
Department of Theology
PhD Program - History of Christian Life and Thought
Second Year

Nihil enim nobis nasci profuit, nisi redimi profuisset. O mira circa nos tuae pietatis dignatio!  O inaestimabilis dilectio caritatis:  ut servum redimeres, Filium tradidisti!