  _____

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jo Ann
McNamara
Sent: 06 March 2007 20:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] helping

Sometimes I put notes from the list aside with good intentions and then the
mail piles up and I get way behind.  So it is with Catherine Gunn's
important reminder that the lack of institutional affiliation (or lack of
access to a major research library) is a severe handicap for some of our
members.  I have been trying to think of a solution to her plea for a
helping system without immediate success.  Back in the 70s when the job
market fell apart, the same situation boiled over.  At that time, a group of
feminist scholars in New York tried to address certain aspects of the
situation with some success.  We formed an Institute for Research in History
and some of the leaders (not, alas, me) learned how to get it registered as
an official grant-eligible institution.  This provided an important umbrella
for independent scholars.  Catch-22 is that lots of grants are not open to
people not affiliated with an institution that gathers in the overhead.  In
our case, the overhead was used to open an office and provide limited
employment for a couple of people.  The Institute required members to belong
to seminar groups to provide a scholarly community.  Actually, some of those
groups are still functioning even though the Institute ultimately faded away
as the world of grants got narrower.  Still, I think this is a problem that
a community of scholars should still try to solve.  We might also think
whether or not it would be possible for larger institutions to create some
sort of system for extending JStor or other on-line privileges to eligible
scholars.  Some universities offer library privileges to scholars in their
immediate community (as does Columbia University) but in the world of the
net, this might be extended with profit to all.

Sometimes identifying a problem is an important step in the direction of
solving it, so I hope this communique helps in that direction.

Jo Ann McNamara

join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
[log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to:
[log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave
medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or
to contact the list's owners, write to:
[log in to unmask] For further information, visit our
web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]