In the "Church Times" (a leading Church of England newspaper) for Feb 16
there is a picture of  an elegant woman in a dark pink dress standing on a
plinth and with a townscape behind her. Her left hand points across her body
to a model church held in her right hand.

The caption reads "Chaste: St Sulpicia was considered the most virtuous
woman in Rome. She is seen here in a late 15th century work by Pietro
Oriolli from "Masterpieces of Italian Painting: the Walter Art Museum" [
folloed by detai;ls of book]

I can find nothing about St Sulpicia. Not in Med Rel archives, not in New
Advent, not in the on-line Index of saints .... Not in either of my
Dictionaries (Penguin, Oxford)

So who IS this elusive lady ? There seem to have been two ladies of
Classical antiquity by this name, both poets, one "The Elegist" and one "The
Satirist" but the notes about them do not suggest sanctity far less
canonisation.

My second question - which perhaps either Andre' or Denis can answer - is
this, Is the Fontevriste nunnery of St Supice de la Fore^t aka St Sulpice de
Rennes dedicated to this lady ?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]