Thanks so much to all of you who are responding to this one.  I am  surprised
none of you mentioned St. Expeditus yet -- I had forgotten about  him.  Glad
Tom is getting the benefit from this discussion, too.

Since the modern saints are my field, there aren't really all that many who
were too terribly odd.  Tom, you may want to note that Bernadette dipped
snuff and was teased about it (she did it as a cure for asthma).  The only  other
modern "odd" one wasn't odd herself -- just her circumstances.   That's
Cornelia Connelly.  She was a good Episcopal girl married to an  Episcopal preacher
with a number of children.  He decided to become  Catholic, so she agreed to
be Catholic, too.  Then he decided to become a  priest but the only way Rome
would allow it was for her to become a nun. So she  did. Unfortunately for her,
she did quite well at it -- and began an order  of her own.  The publicity got
to her former husband so he quit being a  Catholic priest and went back to
being an Episcopal one.  Then he sued her  in a court of law in England for the
resumption of conjugal rights -- and  won!!!!  She had to stay hidden in her
convent to avoid his attempts to  come and kidnap her while she waited the
outcome of her appeal.  She won on  appeal.

Cheers,
Ann

http://www.aol.com.

to: [log in to unmask]