There seems to be some confusion about the function of the piscina.
I always understood the need for the piscine to be not for the water
from the washing of the priest's hands at the "lavabo" (they're not
THAT sacred), but for the cleansing of the chalice (and ciborium)
which held the sacred species (even if the chalice is rinsed once and
the water from it drunk after communion) and the cleansing of the
priest's or deacon's hands after touching the hosts. Most Catholic
churches, including cathedrals,have only one such sink for the
priests or sacristan to use. Even though Ockham as a priest used
another basin for his shaving razor, I don't see any need to multiply
piscinae unnecessarily. We should, however, check  the medieval
regulations.

GHB

--
George Hardin Brown, Professor of English Emeritus
Department of English, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-2087

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]