Dan,

You might also wish to refer to the 13 April 2002 Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission (EEBC) Delimitation Decision at paras 3.17 to 3.28.

The Delimitation Decision can be downloaded at: http://pca-cpa.org/PDF/EEBC/EEBC%20Decision-L.pdf

Regarding the use of cartography, the 27 November 2006 EEBC Statement at paras 20-28, appears equally relevant to your query. Also have a look at the Annex to the Statement.

The EEBC Statement can be downloaded at: http://www.pca-cpa.org/ENGLISH/RPC/EEBC/Statement%20271106.pdf

Kind regards,
Dane

Mr. Dane Ratliff, Legal Counsel
Permanent Court of Arbitration
Carnegieplein 2 - Peace Palace
2517KJ The Hague, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 70 302 4196 (direct) / 4165 (main office)
Fax: + 31 70 302 4167
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.pca-cpa.org

Cindy Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: International boundaries discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

29-03-2007 14:32
Please respond to
Cindy Fowler <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: [INT-BOUNDARIES] Maps and Boundary Disputes in the 20th Century

Dan,

Here's a pointer to our marine boundaries bibliography .. its a bit out of date and I see a couple of bad links, but many of the documents are accessible (PDF).
http://www.csc.noaa.gov/mbwg/htm/outreach/Bibliography.htm

Also,  I can think of one specific reference (US centric) that you may be interested in ..

Shore and Sea Boundaries Vol III,  Mike Reed  - ...
http://www.csc.noaa.gov/products/shoreandsea/

Volume Three, published in June 2000, was written by Michael W. Reed, an attorney and expert involved in maritime boundary delimitation for almost four decades. In this book, Reed not only documents the legal principles derived from the numerous "tidelands" decisions that have occurred over the past four decades, but also places those decisions in historical context.

Hope this helps.

Cindy Fowler

[log in to unmask] wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

I have been asked to prepare an essay (3,500 words) on cartography and boundary disputes in the twentieth century.  I have had some trouble locating relevant authoritative and significant literature, especially books, as opposed to journal articles.  Much of what I have found is case-specific.  I am seeking analytic works that span many disputes.

I hope to develop several themes, including the use of maps to make or reinforce claims, the role of maps in evolving boundary disputes, the influence of maps in the discourse of a dispute (such as the borrowing of terms, like the "green line"), and the use of cartography in dispute settlement (such as at the ICJ or in negotiations).  For instance, I have found journal articles about particular disputes, like R. Johnson's "Negotiating the Dayton Peace Accords through Digital Maps" and Keith Highet's "Evidence, the Court, and the Nicaragua Case."  There are a few more general articles: Dennis Rushworth's "Mapping in Support of Frontier Arbitration," Guenter Weissberg's "Maps as Evidence in International Boundary Disputes: A Reappraisal," William B. Wood's "GIS as a Tool for Territorial Negotiations," Gerald Blake's "The Depiction of International Boundaries on Topographic Maps," and others.  Do any of you have suggestions for other sources that focus on cartography and boundary disputes in the last century?

With gratitude for any help,
Dan Dzurek

Cindy Fowler, GIS Integration & Development Program Manager
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Coastal Services Center
2234 S. Hobson Ave.
Charleston, SC  29405
phone 843-740-1249    fax 843-740-1315