I always use hairdressing as a classic example of perception of value
because A) I'm bald and shave my own hair and B) I've often stood in
front of students, producers, artists and clients who have moaned
about the cost of a project and tell me they spent $90 on a haircut.

I may have misunderstood Sarah's original question, but I didn't feel
it was about cultural value - that's a debate that's never going to
reach a satisfying conclusion - but one of actual, monetary value
given that curators are being asked to find the funding for their own
salaries sometimes. If you disappear into discussions of cultural
value when someone asks you how much you charge/cost then you signal
that you don't know. I've never met a lawyer who hasn't been able to
pin down charges to the minute and there is no discussion about
cultural value from them (just from everybody else).

Best,

Andy