Dear all,

Please see below a series of questions we (CHESS - the Consortium of Higher Education Support Services for Deaf People) are hoping can be distributed to deaf and heard of hearing students at your institution.

We are hoping to build up a picture of support available for deaf applicants and students nationally as part of the NADP/CHESS Conferences on this area later in the year:
http://www.nadp-uk.org/events/spring-autumn2007.php

Please could you forward this e-mail to students you work with who might be interested in answering the questions and possibly presenting?

Thank you,

Bryan Coleman
CHESS

Hi,

This year CHESS (the Consortium of Higher Education Support Services for Deaf People) and NADP (the National Association of Disability Practitioners) are organising two Conferences about improving services for deaf and hard of hearing students.

We want to hear the views of deaf people and learn from their experiences.

Please will you take the time to answer the questions below and return it by e-mail to me, Paddy Turner at: [log in to unmask]

Everything you write will remain anonymous.

Please reply by: Friday 23rd February

Many thanks

STUDENT PERSPECTIVES

Please answer the following questions.
Write as much or as little as you like.
Please be honest!
Thank you.

IMPORTANT: Please do NOT tell us the name of your University or the names of any people you write about.

1) BACKGROUND

How do you describe your deafness? Please include
*	when you became deaf
*	what language you prefer to use

2) BEFORE YOU STARTED

Were you satisfied with the information available before you started your course? You might like to think about:
*	Open Days
*	websites
*	support services

3) DSA ASSESSMENT OF NEED

Were you satisfied with your Assessment of Need? Tell us what was good and what was bad about it. You might like to think about:
*	when your Assessment of Need took place
*	the interview and the assessor
*	the recommendations that were made
*	the paperwork
*	was the equipment useful?
Was your assessment done locally or at your chosen University - was this the right choice for you?

4) AT UNIVERSITY

What support did you receive at University? You might like to think about:
*	equipment
*	support workers
*	other Support Services
*	from your Course Team
*	from other University services

5) AT UNIVERSITY

What were the biggest barriers you experienced at University? You might like to think about:
*	social life
*	academic life
*	support problems
*	attitudes
*	the University environment

6) AT UNIVERSITY

What would you like Universities to do so that they are more accessible for deaf people?

Thank you

Your answers are important to us. We want your views to help us to improve Higher Education services for deaf people. We would like to include your answers in the information we give to people at the Conference. Your answers will be anonymous.

Are you happy for your answers to be included in the Conference Pack?

Yes/No

Would you like to present your answers at the NADP/CHESS Conference?

Yes/No

For further details of the Conference including dates and venues go to:
http://www.nadp-uk.org/events/spring-autumn2007.php

Please return this completed questionnaire to: [log in to unmask]