On tor, 2007-02-22 at 10:04 -0800, Joseph Tennis wrote:
> Thanks Andy.
>
> And here's where I fail to see how we are to actually put New Zealand
> in a Controlled Vocabulary without it being a description of New
> Zealand.  We aren't actually putting the place in the CV.  That is
> impossible to do. Rather we are putting a description of the place in
> our dc:subject.  In fact, we're using Getty's description of the
> place, aren't we?

All metadata implies at least one level of indirection already (except
for literal strings). So, the indirection you are asking for is already
implicit in the model.

> so:
>
> dc:subject is Getty's description of New Zealand

No, dc:subject refers to New Zealand through the description of New
Zealand offered by Getty

> and
> dc: subject is ISO3166's description of New Zealand

No, dc;subject refers to New Zealand through the description of New
Zealand offered by ISO3166

> vs.
> dc: subject is not the described resource or the description, but the
> actual socio-political, economic, territorial, geographic, sovereign
> New Zealand?

In both cases, the referred value *is* New Zealand, but referenced in
different ways. There is no dichotomy,

We wont gain anything by introducing *another* level of indirection, as
the model already contains that.

It's not very easy to get your head around... but the words "value",
"value representation" and "value identification" are carefully chosen.

/Mikael

> Somehow we have to be explicit about the textuality and hence
> contextuality of metadata, especially vocabularies.  I think Douglas
> was on to something when he was talking about 'source' in his Feb.
> 11, 2007 post to DC-ARCHITECTURE.
>
> joe
>
> On 22-Feb-07, at 8:40 AM, Andy Powell wrote:
>
> >> On a related note, I have a question.  Why is a VES a set of
> >> resources?  Why is it not a set of descriptions, as defined
> >> by the DCAM?
> >
> > A VES is a set of resources because it is the resources (rather
> > than the
> > descriptions of those resources) that we are interested in using as
> > values in DC statements.
> >
> > If I write a book about New Zealand, then the dc:subject of my book is
> > 'New Zealand' (the place) - the dc:subject is not 'a description of
> > New
> > Zealand'.
> >
> > Andy
> > --
> > Head of Development, Eduserv Foundation
> > http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/
> > http://efoundations.typepad.com/
> > +44 (0)1225 474319

> Joseph T. Tennis
> The University of British Columbia
> jtennis | at | interchange | ubc | ca

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose