  From: Harvey Sarles
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:23 AM
  Subject: Re: From knowledge to wisdom- but how and when

  Wilfred,
  Peirce did have some wonderful ideas, some of which passed on to his intellectual heirs via Pragmatism, and some even to me. My favorite thinker - George Herbert Mead takes Peirce's idea that we not only think, but also "do" (Peirce's "abduction"), to note that we are active bodies - in-interaction with other('s) bodies.

  As I have been working with his ideas (and some others in Developmental work - "Attachment Theory" as it's being labeled), the infant (each of us) is no mere individual body whose mind develops knowledge somehow. But we are deeply engaged with our m/other's on a long-term basis - and knowledge and self flow from this expanding dynamic relationship. The self (you and I) "emerges" from sociality, and this insight "inverts" - I would claim - much of Western thought about our being.

  So: get back to work, and I hope we have a meeting someday, perhaps soon.
  Harvey