My children attend a school where the staff are raising awareness of drug-taking with the pupils (primary age), and parents have been shown the resources that will be used - this includes encouraging the kids to talk about and draw drug-taking, and people they might know who take drugs.  This is not in order to "police" the community, and I would be reluctant for the information to be used that way, as it would inhibit children in future from discussing their own or others drug-taking.  I appreciate that if there is some terribly abuse going on then that needs to be dealt with, but there is a fine balance here between giving children an opportunity to talk about issues, and using it to nab drug-dealers.

Anne
Anne Gadsden, Information Goverernance Officer
North Cumbria Acute Hospitals NHS Trust

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues on behalf of Nick Landau
Sent: Mon 15/01/2007 18:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Confidential Survey and drug taking

This seems to be a school with a drugs problem yet a genius of a child who
at 6-years-old is filling out a self-completion questionnaire.

How do you know that the response was genuine?

Would children of any age be given such questions to be filled in. What sort
of sampling was this?

Do not parents have to be advised that their children (of whatever age) are
going to be asked such questions? After all, children of under a certain age
have to have an adult with them in the police station when they are being
asked questions.

I used to work in market research and survey analysis, and I think this
raises some worrying questions - in addition to the fact of a young child
possibly taking drugs.

Nick Landau