Hi Todd,
    DMF (Dimethyl Fluoride) is a good alternative to DMSO.

Sarathy

________________________________

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Green, Todd
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 3:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: crystal friendly solvents that are useful for dissolving
hydrophobic small molecules?

Hello All,

I am trying to soak some crystals with a small molecule that is quite
hydrophobic. I am having trouble with solubilty of the small molecule.
It will dissolve up to about 1 mM in 100 % DMSO, but precipitates at
concentrations of less than 15 micromolar when the DMSO concentration is
below 20 percent in my crystal growth solutions(which are peg 4k, low
pH, low salt). Can anyone suggest solvents other than DMSO which might
help dissolve the inhibitor and might be somewhat friendly to my
crystals.

Thanks in advance-
Todd Green

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD
and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then
delete it from your system.